1. GLEAN COMMUNITY IDEAS!
If you are on Facebook, we encourage you to visit the Association of Educators Facebook page for your district. We have seen good ideas on the Durham Association of Educators Facebook page and you are welcome to look there! Look at Instagram and Twitter too. Watch for hashtags such as #Red4Ed #RedForEd #ItsPersonal #May16 #GetReady and #InThisTogether
2. WHAT IS YOUR STORY?
Consider your unique story and how that might impact the sign you make. Perhaps you would like to:
- Name the city/county/school district from which you come.
- Quote a song that was popular when you were in high school.
- Quote a song that the young people in your life listen to now.
- Re-write the words to the fight song from a local high school. From one of our state universities?
- Edit or re-purpose a favorite literary quote? Something from Julia Alvarez? James Baldwin? Shakespeare? Sherman Alexe? Shel Silverstein? Toni Morrison? JK Rowling? Paulo Coelho? Madeleine L’Engle? Sandra Cisneros? Rumi? Think broadly!
- Offer something from your faith tradition. Perhaps something from the liturgy of your worship, or prayers that have been meaningful to you or your people.
3. PUBLIC EDUCATION SABBATH:
We invite you to use this resource to find suggestions for Christian Scripture and prayer that you might use on signs.
4. A PRAYER FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
We offer this new prayer for this season of advocacy. You may use part of it!