Groups at the state and national level continue to mobilize around concerns about President-Elect Donald Trump’s stated policy objectives and choices for cabinet posts.
The NC NAACP, Interfaith Power & Light, MomsRising, Faith in Public Life, and the National Council of Churches are just some of the organizations calling on people of conscience to speak out against nominees who have been described as:
- Representing and promoting “hateful ideals and policies.” (MomsRising)
- Having “questionable ties to foreign governments with anti-democratic leadership and human rights abuses.” (Interfaith Power & Light)
- Epitomizing “extremist, racist and fringe world views that we believe are morally inconsistent with Christian principles of loving neighbor and antithetical to American values of ‘liberty and justice for all.’” (National Council of Churches USA, Conference of National Black Churches, Ecumenical Poverty Initiative, Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference)
Of particular concern are:
- Senator Jeff Sessions, nominee for U.S. Attorney General, who has a history of racist rhetoric, has opposed legislation such as the Voting Rights Act and the Violence Against Women Act, has defended the proposed ban on all Muslims entering the US, and has recently embraced policies opposing birthright citizenship and legal immigration.
- Representative Tom Price, nominee for Secretary of Health and Human Services, who has made dismantling the ACA a priority.
- Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt, nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency, who is a climate denier and has sued the EPA.
- Andy Puzder, nominee for Secretary of the Department of Labor, who is a fast-food CEO with an anti-worker history and who opposes raising the minimum wage.
- Rex Tillerson, nominee for Secretary of State, who has shown a lack of understanding of the global climate crisis and has ties to undemocratic foreign governments with concerning records on human rights.
As confirmation hearings begin, concerned citizens can let their United States Senators know that they do not believe these are the people who can help lead our country forward. Indeed, they will put us on a destructive path within our nation and in the global community. Information is available here to contact Senators Burr
It will take an ongoing commitment and vigilance from people of conscience to make sure our leaders reflect who we are and what we expect of our government.
Leave a Reply